What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby fragoff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am

BlueSpark wrote:After finishing that, the plan was to get started on the newly dubbed Made in Abyss. But I had a change of mind at the last minute and threw on Darling in the FranXX instead.

Even if darling of the frank is a very good show, you made a mistake. Made in abyss is so much better on every levels. It will probably sit there in your top 20 animes of all time, wile darling will not.

But i guess you cannot go wrong watching both, no matter the order. You are pardoned ;)

On the other hand, i rewatched the original slayer serie and claymore.
Slayer did age a bit, but it is still a descent show.
Claymore still kicks neko even if it throws the original manga story down the drain. But man, those noses!!!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 am

fragoff wrote:But i guess you cannot go wrong watching both, no matter the order. You are pardoned ;)
Thank you, my benevolent lord.

Honestly, I simply felt in the mood for it. I know that I will probably like Made in Abyss better, what with the fervent praise it's been receiving and FranXX being a mecha anime. Sometimes I like to leave the more promising shows for later.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am

BlueSpark wrote:Honestly, I simply felt in the mood for it. I know that I will probably like Made in Abyss better, what with the fervent praise it's been receiving and FranXX being a mecha anime. Sometimes I like to leave the more promising shows for later.

Darling of the frank was very good....for a mecha. They just dropped the ball around episode 19 with the most sunden and badly implemented ex machina ever. Otherwise, it would have reached greatness for sure.
It is funny to point out that the strenght of this show is not the mecha part.
Anyway, i am eager to see your point of view on this when you are finished with it.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Everyone is sure to be shocked, but I actually watched anime. So far I'm caught up on Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai, the light novelest name I've seen in a while. Anyway, I don't think it is anything special but its fine. Just a campy romance with a supernatural spin. It is written by Kamoshida Hajime who wrote Sakurasou so I'm inclined to watch it. Worst case scenario I'll give the LN a go.

In addition to that I've caught up on Goblin Slayer, the anime, LN, and manga. Personally I find that the LN is the best but they're relatively similar. The only thing I personally don't like is how the manga sexualizes the graphic scenes, but that isn't a deal breaker.

Also been watching Children of the whales and what a dumpster fire that show is... I cant believe it. I feel like I'm watching chaos in motion.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:19 pm

After being behind on all my shows for nearly 3 weeks, I finally caught up to them all and are even watching B the beginning. I'm actually enjoying this one better than the other shows Netflix nabbed during that time.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 am

Holy s**t... I never imagined I could get this invested in a mecha series. I guess I needed Darling in the FranXX to remind me not to judge a book by its cover - or, as it were, an anime by its genre tag. I need to admit it: I was letting my own preconceptions (or perhaps even 'pride') get the better of me when I said I wasn't hooked by episode 2. Because the truth is I went into every episode giddy with anticipation. Gushfest incoming.

One (very subjective) negative out of the way first: This show did not convert me into a mecha fan. The action scenes still didn't do much for me. And... That's it. I have nothing bad to say about Darling in the FranXX, at least nothing of significance.

Where to even start... I was completely taken aback by how there are feels all over this series. I was crying by the end of episode 6. FranXX knew exactly how to sell me on the relationship of the two leads right off the bat. And from there, it just sucked me in and made me appreciate everything around it. The different characters in the main group, the worldbuilding - it all came together beautifully.

One thing I almost appreciate more than anything else: The show struck the perfect balance between revealing too much and too little. Hitting the viewer on the nose with every bit of info isn't usually the best way to go about it, but what I dislike even more is being vague and cryptic, withholding information from me as the viewer so I have to speculate and possibly never find adequate answers. With Darling in the FranXX, I felt like (almost) every time the action of a character or some detail about their world raised a question, I could formulate a hypothesis right away, and usually was given a hint as to whether I was right or wrong shortly after. That's a way of storytelling I can wholeheartedly get behind.

Some random thoughts:

- I think the studio did an awesome job portraying the different personalities among the main group and their relationships. The focus was always on Hiro and Zero-Two, but they all got time to shine. By the end, the anime had manged to endear every one of them to me.
- The worldbuilding reminded me a bit of From the New World (in terms of how much I liked it), with a twist or two reminiscent of Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. When the exposition episode came around telling us the full backstory of their society, I was 100% hooked - because I already cared about the characters living in that world so much, and because it wasn't a pure info dump; rather, I had already learned a good portion of it throughout the series. This episode just served to fill in the gaps.
- I almost feel blasphemous saying this, but Zero-Two is a character even more fascinating to watch than Yuno Gasai. Her backstory, her resulting attitude, her gradual shift over the course of the series, her relationship with Hiro - it all works out beautifully.
- The motherhood subplot was so freaking touching. It also fit her character to a T. The first moment the anime showed her vomiting... Instant realization, then tears in my eyes.

To be completely honest, I don't think I really noticed the deus ex machina you alluded to, fragoff. Or was it simply the reveal of who the true villains were? If so, I don't think "deus ex machina" would be the right term at all. The only scene I can think of that reeked strongly of plot convenience was (if I remember correctly) at the end of episode 21.

Ludicrous plot twists aside, the ending of Darling in the FranXX was absolutely perfect in my book. Surely the writers could've somehow twisted it to be completely sugar-sweet. And usually, I'm all about sugar-sweet endings. But what we got here was so much more fitting, and still incredibly beautiful. Sure gave my tear ducts a workout.

Curiously, I have one particular question that was left open:
Spoiler:
During Zorome's 'runaway' episode, when he talked to the old lady, he said that she, or rather the whole situation, felt familiar. My first instinct was "Oh snap, could she actually be his biological mother or something?". Later, I learned that all of the adults were immortal, and the children died young. Unless I'm mistaken, all of the children were artificially created (I'd be grateful for some clarification on this point). But then what did Zorome feel nostalgic about?
So, there you guys have it. BlueSpark being completely enthralled by a mecha series. Though to be fair, the mecha action was only a small part wedged in between excellent romance, drama, and worldbuilding. It might not quite make it into my top 10%, but if not, it's dangerously close.

Suddenly, it looks like Made in Abyss has some pretty big shoes to fill, fragoff ;). I don't think I want to watch those 2 shows back to back, though. I'm emotionally drained and need something fluffy now. Maybe it's time for my rewatch of K-On!.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 am

Yes, the deus ex machina was about 'the true enemy'. You must admit it was just thrown there to advance the end of the story.

Also, i told you this anime was not about the mecha. It is more about the setup and especialy the interaction and questioning of the kids. This is where this show shine.

Now, i loved darling of the frank. But my guess is you will see it as a found memory after watching the monster that is made in abyss. Darling of the franx is amazing. Made in abyss is exceptional.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 am

fragoff wrote:Yes, the deus ex machina was about 'the true enemy'. You must admit it was just thrown there to advance the end of the story.
I guess when I think about it, you're probably right. It did throw me off, too, but only for a minute. When I'm invested in a story, I can roll with just about anything. So it's hard for me to comprehend the outrage which apparently followed that episode.

Well, now the high expectations for Made in Abyss are real. I guess the show seems to be almost universally admired, so that's understandable. But I've gone through enough times of not sharing the anime fandom's general opinion to make me just a bit wary. Anyway, I'll make my thoughts known once I've seen it.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 am

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:Yes, the deus ex machina was about 'the true enemy'. You must admit it was just thrown there to advance the end of the story.
I guess when I think about it, you're probably right. It did throw me off, too, but only for a minute. When I'm invested in a story, I can roll with just about anything. So it's hard for me to comprehend the outrage which apparently followed that episode.

Well, now the high expectations for Made in Abyss are real. I guess the show seems to be almost universally admired, so that's understandable. But I've gone through enough times of not sharing the anime fandom's general opinion to make me just a bit wary. Anyway, I'll make my thoughts known once I've seen it.

I mean, it did threw me off. But like you, i got over it quickly. It just bothers me a bit that such great ending was put in place with such an easy tactic. This is why i tell you this show is a top 100 but not a top 20.
As for made in abyss, maybe you will not like it. It can happen. You know, tastes and colors....best way, even if i try to brainwash you into it ;), is to go in without any expectations.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am

Uwaaah!!! fragoooff, I have a void nooow ::terrible::!!! Can you just make me dead for a couple of days until it blows over?
Guess not. I'm a grown man. Got to face reality. An ugly reality. Without more Darling in the FranXX. *sniff*

Anyway, I certainly plan to approach Made in Abyss with a neutral mindset. I usually manage to. And I think a buffer in-between in the form of something more fun and uplifting is going to help with that. Back to After School Tea Time!