What manga are you reading?

Page Turning Anime!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: What manga are you reading?

Postby fragoff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Last order is in. Made in abyss and enterview with monster girls are now both past the anime. wich is excelent! I will also probably do a special review of Aposimz by tsutomu nihei. hope it holds up to Blam!

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 am

Some personal reviews

Aposimz 01:
Nihei is back and kicking. Everything you love about his sci-fy genre is back in this manga. To the point that you could almost think this is a direct prequel or sequel to Blam!. There is not direct hint in the manga, but let's just say that the setup seems extremly familiar.
Tsutomu did change his art style a bit. His drawing is more 'dirty', more sketchy as if you were getting the first draw of the manga without the ink. But the style is reconizable none the less. It is also very light in contrast to his other works. i will come back to the notion of 'far less ink' to describe it.
As the story itself, it is as weird as you can expect form the author. there is a lot more dialog in this one. if in blame! the decors were telling the story, here you get a lot more people talking.
i have to wait for at least another tome to see if the story is good or not. But as i know Tsutomu Nihei, it will not be about the story, but the journey to get there.

Made in abyss:
Finaly, we are behond the anime! and, sploiler!, it ain't getting sweeter! more like happy tree friends than my little poney rainbow edition. I really really dig made in abyss.

interviews with monster girls:
A huge step forward for Takahashi and Satou. Wich is, imo, the most important part of the story.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 am

fragoff wrote:interviews with monster girls:
A huge step forward for Takahashi and Satou. Wich is, imo, the most important part of the story.
Why did I decide to read this post of yours? This is pure torture... But I'll hold onto the vague hope that just maybe, we'll get a 2nd season (or at least more OVA episodes) of the anime at some point.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am

BlueSpark wrote:Why did I decide to read this post of yours? This is pure torture...

Because there is a bit of Dustiness Ford Lalatina in you. ::happy::

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am

Darn, just had to look up that reference because Konosuba is another one of those highly popular shows which haven't been dubbed (yet). No, I don't have masochistic tendencies, but I definitely feel the pain right now :/.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 am

Well, my above pains are alleviated now that the Konosuba dub is finally approaching. I'm going to have a ball with that 8-).

More importantly (and actually pertinent to the thread), I read through the entire Spice and Wolf manga collection after the final volume dropped in December. The only manga series I own (apart from a couple of The World God Only Knows volumes) because the anime left us all hanging after season 2. I usually don't bite the manga bait, but I've made an exception for this one, being one of my favorite romance shows of all time.

I found it a bit perplexing that the manga and the anime (both of which are adaptations of the light novels) follow exactly the same path for the anime's 1st season, but once we get beyond that, they portray completely different stories (or, more accurately, adapt different arcs from the novels). The manga, at one point a little later, actually makes a throwaway remark about Lawrence and Holo having been to Kumersun, complete with single panel showing the alchemist woman they meet in the 2nd season of the anime. So that entire storyline was simply skipped, but is still canon. Also, Holo later talks about "being held up as a prize again," which implies to me that the Amarti arc, too, took place just like in the anime.

Anyhow, the later bits of the story were nice enough. Some high stakes were involved, too. The introduction of not one, but several not-quite-human creatures just like Holo threw me off a bit, but hey, why should she be the only one?

But of course, the most crucial point to me was the development of the romance. At times, the lines of dialog exchanged between Lawrence and Holo came across as a little too cryptic for my taste, and Holo's 'tsun' tendencies occasionally irked me somewhat. But there was a visible progression of their relationship throughout the story, and the ending was exactly the heartwarming kind us fans of the series deserve.

I have to say, though, that reading all these manga volumes has been tiring me out. I'm glad to jump back into anime again (especially since all the simuldus of the fall season are just about wrapping up, so there's a whole slew of shows waiting for me).