281) Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

281) Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Post by Andrew »

The world of Gundam continues to expand as the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast dive into Side 6 to follow the story of Al and Bernie. An unexpected pair in the midst of the battle between Zeon and the Federation. What does this perspective offer it’s viewer? Listen and find out!

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War In The Pocket was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf.

The intro song for this episode is the OP for Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket called “Itsuka Sora ni Todoite” by Megumi Shiina. The outro for this episode is the OP for Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket called “Tooi Kioku” by Megumi Shiina.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/01/animecas ... he-pocket/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694
Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 281) Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Post by Kocurek1944 »

Its no secret that I hold 0080 in extremely high regard.Such a shame that its mostly overshadowed by other Gundam OVA,it's just simply an amazing show.
Fantastic writing,beautiful art style,gorgeous animation and impressive pace.
Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Post by Whiskeyjack19 »

Out of the 90s Gundam OVAs I would say this one is the best. Most Gundam shows are about how we should always try to achieve peace and how awful war is but I think this is the one that best captures the futility of war.
Spoiler:
When Al is crying at the end of the show because all of the Zeon soldiers he's befriended have died horribly for no reason, only for those two kids he's friends with to try to comfort him because they think he's crying because the war is over with the words "Don't worry Al, there'll be another war someday" it wrecks me.
I definitely agree that this is a great starting point for Gundam if you want to get a taste before jumping into a 50 episode series. You don't need to know too much background info to get the essence of the story.

In case you guys need a pick me up after watching this I present this shot from Gundam Build Fighters.
Spoiler:
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19
Chris
Site Co-Founder

Post by Chris »

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Out of the 90s Gundam OVAs I would say this one is the best. Most Gundam shows are about how we should always try to achieve peace and how awful war is but I think this is the one that best captures the futility of war.
Spoiler:
When Al is crying at the end of the show because all of the Zeon soldiers he's befriended have died horribly for no reason, only for those two kids he's friends with to try to comfort him because they think he's crying because the war is over with the words "Don't worry Al, there'll be another war someday" it wrecks me.
I definitely agree that this is a great starting point for Gundam if you want to get a taste before jumping into a 50 episode series. You don't need to know too much background info to get the essence of the story.

In case you guys need a pick me up after watching this I present this shot from Gundam Build Fighters.
Spoiler:
Woot love those references we missed that you guys keep pointing out.
Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Kocurek1944 wrote:Image
Its no secret that I hold 0080 in extremely high regard.Such a shame that its mostly overshadowed by other Gundam OVA,it's just simply an amazing show.
Fantastic writing,beautiful art style,gorgeous animation and impressive pace.
Thanks for the seal!

Which OVA's overshadow it? If there's something even grander than this, I can't wait! I can't say enough how fantastic the animation was though. That opening segment had me hooked immediately. Looked so amazing.
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Out of the 90s Gundam OVAs I would say this one is the best. Most Gundam shows are about how we should always try to achieve peace and how awful war is but I think this is the one that best captures the futility of war.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Definitely agree, it was fantastic to see another perspective and the innocence of that final scene was heart breaking. I just wanted him to say "YOU HAVE NO IDEA KIDS!"

My gosh I can't wait to watch Build Fighters again. To be able to actually catch all the references. I knew that scene in particular had a ton of cameos, but just couldn't place them all.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694
Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Post by Kocurek1944 »

Andrew wrote:Which OVA's overshadow it? If there's something even grander than this, I can't wait! I can't say enough how fantastic the animation was though. That opening segment had me hooked immediately. Looked so amazing.
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory,Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz,Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team,Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn,Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin.Those OVA are big players in Gundam fandom.Rest,while have dedicated fans,are less celebrated.That's why I'm so happy that Nozomi is releasing it in US,so new generation can experience this little gem.