501) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

501) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 2

Post by Andrew »

The hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast continue their reviews for the Fall 2019 Anime Season with a list of mixed reviews. Some contenders of Anime of the Year, and some… not so much.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Assassins Pride, Kemono Michi Rise Up, Stars Align, Null and Peta, Fire Force, Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld, Bokuben 2, and Granblue Fantasy The Animation 2nd Season. Also Mid Season Reviews of My Hero Academia 4, Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun, Fate Grand Order Absolute Demon Front Babylonia, Blade of the Immortal, Ahiru no Sora, and Babylon.

The opening song for this episode is the OP1 for Fire Force called “Inferno” by Mrs.GREEN APPLE. The closing song for this episode is the ED for Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld called “unlasting” by LiSA.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2020/01/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694
BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Re: 501) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 2

Post by BlueSpark »

I heard that Stars Align was pretty high in coming-of-age drama. Since you're dropping Mari Okada's name, I should assume this is right up my alley. Sucks to hear about the abrupt ending, though :/. I guess I'll give it a go regardless and brace myself. I've gotten better at accepting open endings in general: While I hated the way Haganai closed out its 2nd season with a passion, I didn't bat an eyelid at the ending of Skip Beat!. Or Domestic Girlfriend.

I'm expecting a big old rant from you Andrew. Come on, think of Spice and Wolf and go into RAGE MODE! Complain how you've never complained before about the lack of a sequel! The show's well worth getting bent out of shape over ;).

Also, intriguing to hear that Lizbeth managed to woo you ;>. Thanks to Sarah Williams' voice-acting magic, she places 2nd for me just barely behind Sugu. It's cool to hear she got a moment in the spotlight.
Honestly, I'm not quite sure whether I'll bother with Alicization once it's all finished. I've always been so-so on Sword Art Online. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm ever in the mood for 50 episodes of an action series. Not the best of chances :P.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!
Chris
Site Co-Founder

Post by Chris »

BlueSpark wrote:I heard that Stars Align was pretty high in coming-of-age drama. Since you're dropping Mari Okada's name, I should assume this is right up my alley. Sucks to hear about the abrupt ending, though :/. I guess I'll give it a go regardless and brace myself. I've gotten better at accepting open endings in general: While I hated the way Haganai closed out its 2nd season with a passion, I didn't bat an eyelid at the ending of Skip Beat!. Or Domestic Girlfriend.

I'm expecting a big old rant from you Andrew. Come on, think of Spice and Wolf and go into RAGE MODE! Complain how you've never complained before about the lack of a sequel! The show's well worth getting bent out of shape over ;).

Also, intriguing to hear that Lizbeth managed to woo you ;>. Thanks for Sarah Williams' voice-acting magic, she places 2nd for me just barely behind Sugu. It's cool to hear she got a moment in the spotlight.
Honestly, I'm not quite sure whether I'll bother with Alicization once it's all finished. I've always been so-so on Sword Art Online. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm ever in the mood for 50 episodes of an action series. Not the best of chances :P.

Remember I do like my melo/dramas too. I am not saying it won’t work for you but as far as I can tell we have similar taste and there is a difference in drama and everyone having the same drama just different circumstances. But hey who am I. Maybe it will work for you.

I love my drama. But to me the you might as well make one drama point and involve the whole cast in it instead of making every cast member have the same problem in their own way.
BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Post by BlueSpark »

I get what you're saying - it might get pretty boring if the anime serves you the same dish several times, only with slightly different seasoning. But I think I'll give the series the benefit of the doubt. At this point, "written by Mari Okada" is a credit I'm ready to take big chances on. (Never mind, I done goofed)
Last edited by BlueSpark on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Site Co-Founder

Post by Chris »

BlueSpark wrote:I get what you're saying - it might get pretty boring if the anime serves you the same dish several times, only with slightly different seasoning. But I think I'll give the series the benefit of the doubt. At this point, "written by Mari Okada" is a credit I'm ready to take big chances on.
Far as I am aware Mari Okada has nothing to do with this show. Granted I would be extremely disappointed if it was but I would be more on board with the push to end the show if so as I know her stories are more late blooming.
BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Post by BlueSpark »

Opps - I got that totally mixed up. You merely said it had Mari-Okada levels of melodrama. Thanks for correcting me.

I'll say that I don't subscribe to Glass Reflection / Arcada's law ("The ending is paramount") as much as many other anime fans do, so I'll see if I can get some enjoyment out of the show while it lasts without worrying too much about a proper conclusion.
Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

BlueSpark wrote:Opps - I got that totally mixed up. You merely said it had Mari-Okada levels of melodrama. Thanks for correcting me.

I'll say that I don't subscribe to Glass Reflection / Arcada's law ("The ending is paramount") as much as many other anime fans do, so I'll see if I can get some enjoyment out of the show while it lasts without worrying too much about a proper conclusion.
Hmm. I guess you could say that, based on my treatment of things like Babylon, that I don't much subscribe to that. It can leave a sour taste in my mouth, but if the journey is grand, I could care little about the ending.

I guess that's one of those really nice benefits to not grading anime. We can clearly state "it started strong, had a bad stumble midway, and then had a terrible ending" in a case like Stars Align. It's a clearer picture than me just throwing a number on something much more complex.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694